Saturday 23 May 2015

Not talking Electoral Reform (on this occasion). Well, almost...

I have said a lot over recent months on my feelings towards Britain's current electoral system.  In this particular post, I will not even give this outdated monstrosity the pleasure of referring to it by it's name.  I will though take the opportunity of expressing myself.  It is time for me to explain that my political views go way beyond pro-PR or as the cynics may call pro-Coalition.

Here is a flavour of my views on some of the issues facing ordinary Brits, and also on the odd issue many Brits may not give a **** on.

Britain and the EU

Well, I have actually talked a bit on this in recent months as well.  Therefore, it is probably worth trying to aim to wrap this up in a sentence.  I want the UK to remain in the EU, after a referendum to hopefully resolve the issue for at least another 40 years.

Immigration

Very much linked in with the EU, I do accept.  On the whole, immigration benefits the UK economy and the continued functioning of the NHS.  Plus, we have Brits living in other parts of the EU as well.  I do accept though that some of the people living in towns along the south coast of England in some cases will have a different perspective.  In a democracy those voices must also be heard.

NHS

I can only really go on my own experiences.  I have had a need within the past couple of years to attend my local hospital on a certain matter.  I spent a Monday evening in hospital for about 4 hours.  I will say that I got very good care, and my expectations were managed very well indeed, considering I did not expect to be going into work the next day. 

I will though add that I do not have any reason to doubt stories I hear of Nurses struggling to take breaks for instance.  Pressures on our NHS are a worry of course.

The only scenario at present in which I would challenge the principle of free health care is for those who put pressure on our NHS through drunken behaviour.

Economy

We can talk all day and all night about the rights and wrongs of Tory and Labour administrations alike.  Ultimately, I have no problem with top earners paying a competitive rate of income tax, such as 40% or lower.  It is not just the question of our relationship with Europe which will determine how successful UK plc will be in attracting inward investment.

However, I cannot agree with such a policy at times of austerity.  I disagreed with the policy of the Con-Dem Coalition to reduce the top rate from 50% to 45%.  Whilst reversing this policy will probably not raise all that much money, it goes against what Prime Minister Dave (Cameron) once referred to as everyone being in it together. 

Fracking and English devolution

Fracking may well bring new wealth and employment opportunities to these shores.  On balance, I am minded to support it more than oppose it.  Although I do believe there are environmental arguments that have substance as well.

To balance the economic benefits against the environmental concerns, it would be better to have regulation set by Regional Assemblies.  Prime Minister Dave and Chancellor Gideon (Osbourne) are too far detached to balance the conflicting economic benefits and environmental threats.  At least one American State and a Spanish Region have both exercised powers to ban fracking in recent years.

I am also a believer in English devolution as a means to rebalance the United Kingdom, against a backdrop of National Parliaments in other parts of the UK.  Devolution would be a positive change to a Westminster system that is far too detached for too many Brits.

Whilst I would prefer Regional Assemblies to an English Parliament, an English Parliament would probably be better than the status quo.  Sticking to the status quo or having English laws which can only be decided by English MPS, would ultimately lead to the break up of the Union.  Why would a Country within the UK continue to send MPs to a Parliament in which they effectively become second class MPs?

British Overseas Territories and the Falklands/Malvinas dispute

On the whole, I do take the line that if some of these countries want to have a modern relationship with the UK, then we cannot force independence upon them.  That said, many of the British Overseas Territories are tax havens.  I don't see how that benefits us, and tax havens hardly create the impression of paying a fair share of tax.  Furthermore, if these territories are insisting on dependence towards the UK on matters like Foreign Affairs and Defence, then there must be something we can do about it.

I have previously written extensively regards my views on how a solution can be found in the long running dispute between the UK and Argentina over the Falklands/Las Malvinas.  On that note, I will not go into too much detail here on my view on how a long term solution can be found. 

What I will say is that the Falklands/Malvinas is the World's second most sparsely populated territory, if you don't include all the remote uninhabited islands on earth.  Plus, the UK does not currently have the same level of international support it once had on this issue.  That is why there is room to accommodate Argentina's geographical claims and the Falkland Islanders' right to self-determination. 

With Argentina set to elect a new President in the autumn, there will need to be a different approach to the Falklanders from that of current Argentine President, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.  Otherwise any road towards compromise will be later rather than sooner.

Canadian General Election 2015

Due to colonial links, the Canadians also use the same electoral system as us Brits.  Well, hopefully when they go to the polls in the autumn, they will get the Hung Parliament we so nearly got.  That will go a long way to undermine the monstrosity of a voting system our two countries share!

Whether you agree with some of what I have said above, none of the above, or all of the above, electing our representatives ultimately underpins every issue.  That is why British Electoral Reform is for the moment at least, more important to me than all of the above.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment