Wednesday 13 May 2015

Dear Helen Jones MP,

Let me introduce myself.  My name is Andy, and I currently live in the boundaries of the Warrington South parliamentary constituency.  However, prior to boundary changes which took effect at the 2010 general election, I was resident in your Warrington North constituency.

I am writing to discuss a particular concern I have about politics in Britain today.  I am approaching you because I understand it is possible that future boundary changes may mean I once again could become a Warrington North constituent.  Even if this does not happen, I believe there are some people in your constituency who will share my views which I am about to outline.

Before I discuss the political concerns I have, I would like to take the opportunity to say that I have no issue with you personally.  During the 18 years in which I have lived in Warrington, I can't say I can recall anyone ever saying a bad word about you as one of the town's local MPs.

Since my eligibility to vote, I have consistently voted at all types of election.  I can recall just one council election in which I forgot to vote in, and which I am not proud of.  My politics are on the centre, and I have at various stages voted for all mainstream parties.

I did in the fact vote Labour in the recent general election, in the south constituency.  In one sense, this election has been one in which I have gained a feeling of being a valued member of the electorate.  It has been very flattering to get the attention in which I got from all the Labour Party activists who were knocking on my door.  This is what goes on in marginal constituencies.  Of course, I know I will not get that attention if I get moved back into the safe seat that is Warrington North.

In four visits I had from Labour activists since January, I made the point right at the outset that I am strongly opposed to the First Past The Post voting system.  On two of the visits, the activist agreed with me!

How can it be right that Labour voters in Warrington South can be more powerful than Labour voters in Warrington North?  On a similar note, how can it be right for Conservative voters in the Warrington South constituency to be more powerful than those who vote Conservative in Gideon's Tatton?

It is my understanding that you were amongst the Labour MPs who supported the campaign to retain the First Past The Post system in 2011.  This does concern me.  The recent general election has demonstrated the disadvantages of FPTP in a way not seen before. 

I recognise that FPTP may well survive for the next election in 5 years time.  As stated, I also recognise that I could be voting in your safe seat.  If both of these things do happen, I will be seeking a firm commitment from Labour to deliver on electoral reform.

In the event of Labour showing no intention of delivering on electoral reform, I may well be ruling out voting for Labour.  NOW I REALISE THAT WILL MEAN A WASTED VOTE IN WARRINGTON NORTH!

I am though optimistic that these words will not be wasted in the wider debate on electoral reform that I believe now lies ahead in the years to come.

Yours Sincerely

Andy J Watson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment