Saturday 6 June 2015

Dear constituents of Newcastle Upon Tyne North,

Let me introduce myself.  My name is Andy, and I am a blogger with a particular belief that a change in Britain's voting system used for local elections and general elections, is desirable.

A few weeks ago, Britain's political parties fought a general election under the First Past the Post electoral system, which is also known as the winner-takes-all system.  As I will come to explain, I believe the constituents of Newcastle North should focus on a fundamental question on whether it delivers for Newcastle North?

Many people in the North East will be disappointed that the 2015 general election has produced a Conservative majority government.  Some of you will take consolation in that Newcastle North has returned a Labour MP once again, reinforcing the notion that Newcastle North is a Tory-free zone.

However, Tory-free zones like Newcastle North are only contributing to dividing the British people.  The same of course needs to be said for safe Conservative parliamentary constituencies. 

Furthermore, the one horse race in Newcastle North which perpetually produces a Labour winner, makes the constituents of Newcastle North amongst the least powerful voters in the country.  Labour would probably win here not only if the Labour Party nationally secured a 100 seat majority in the House of Commons, but also if the Conservatives were ever to win a 100 seat Commons majority.

Let's travel 40 miles down the A1 to the marginal seat of Darlington.  Why should those voters be more powerful than you?  In other words, this current voting system means your votes have little to no influence in changing the makeup of the British Parliament.

I currently live in the marginal constituency of Warrington South.  Although I don't automatically vote one way or another, I did vote Labour this time around.  Whilst Warrington South was retained by the sitting Conservative MP, at least I knew my vote was a vote which counted.

I have though previously lived under the boundaries of the neighbouring Warrington North constituency, which is a safe Labour seat.  If boundary changes were to move my local (Labour held) council ward back into Warrington North, it would certainly benefit the incumbent government.

In reflecting on the possibility that I could be voting in a safe seat at the next general election, I have written to the current MP in Warrington North.  I have explained that if Labour has no firm proposals for electoral reform, then there is a good chance I will not be voting Labour.  That would remain my position, even if I still had a preference for Labour over the Conservatives in five years time.

Whether your concerns are the NHS, immigration, or the economy, how we elect our representatives in Parliament underpins all policy areas. 

How can it be right that UKIP can get nearly 4 million votes, yet only get one parliamentary seat?  I am no lover of UKIP, or their desire to see Britain leave the European Union.  However, as human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has recently indicated, this should make people angry!

There are several alternative electoral systems which I believe can serve Newcastle North and Britain better.  If you wish to contact me for further information, you can contact me on Twitter, @AndyWatson75.

With the Labour Party currently fighting a leadership contest, now could be the time for the people of Newcastle North to also contact Catherine McKinnell MP and explain their concerns on First Past The Post.

All the best.

Andy J Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment