Wednesday 21 January 2015

Will UK General Election give First Past The Post one big kicking?

With one relatively recent failed referendum on ditching First Past The Post, one would think it would be highly unlikely that the Liberal Democrats' manifesto will include a fresh promise of delivering a voting system referendum.

However, taking a quick examination of the history of the introduction of devolution in Scotland does show there was a failed referendum in 1979, before the Scots subsequently voted yes in 1997.

I could spend hours talking about the many failures of FPTP, ranging from gerrymandering of seats to tactical voting.  But it is ultimately the large proportion of wasted votes which illustrates why countries with FPTP tend to have lower voter participation than elsewhere.

The likelihood of the UK heading for a second successive Hung Parliament, if it becomes a reality, will send a clear message to all those smart arses who argue that FPTP delivers decisive majorities!  History does show there have been other cycles in Britain's First Past The Post system which failed to produce governments with decisive majorities.

What has now become relatively forgotten are the two general elections in 1951 and 1974, which saw the party with the highest number of votes not win the highest number of seats!

The 2015 General Election will not produce a fresh referendum on electoral reform.  But what I believe it will produce is a renewal that the 2011 referendum was certainly not the end of a desire to replace FPTP.  In fact, I believe a new cycle towards ridding Britain of this outdated electoral system could now be underway.

3 comments:

  1. I have just had a visit from a local Labour Party member, trying to canvas support ahead of the election. I have expressed my hope that we have another hung parliament, with a view towards damaging the long term credibility of First Past The Post.

    I have also expressed a view regards gerrymandering of seats, and in particular the gerrymandering of Warrington Parliamentary Seat boundaries. It is due to such gerrymandering why I live in the Warrington South Constituency, despite not geographically living in South Warrington!

    The Labour bloke said he agreed with the points I have made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On 22 February 2015 outgoing Labour MP Austin Mitchell was reported to say that Labour would always win his Great Grimsby seat, even if the Labour candidate was a most disgusting human being. Under FPTP there are too many seats like this, either safe Labour or safe Conservative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had yet another visit from the local Labour Party, around lunchtime on 28 March 2015. I expect Labour canvassers have probably also been knocking on my door, on occasions when I have been out. When one is fortunate as I am to live in a marginal seat, regular canvassing is what happens.

    Again, I highlighted my opposition to the voting system. The lady (who is a Councillor for the safe Labour ward Bewsey and Whitecross Ward) tried to highlight local issues. From the conversation I had with her, I did take on board the hard work done by local Councillors in general.

    Again, First Past the Post was indirectly the subject of an issue she highlighted. When she mentioned that there is such a low turnout in the ward for Council Elections, it again reinforced the message that some people will not turn out to vote when they know one party is almost certain to win a safe seat.

    ReplyDelete